Sunday 14 August 2011

Overthinking?

Photo I took this morning

I have a tendency to overthink things. 

I try not to. But I know I do.

In less than two weeks I am flying to Sydney. By myself. Those words are hanging there at the moment - BY.MYSELF.

I get pretty anxious if I am without my babies for even a couple of hours. 
(I am trying so hard not to think about it)
I get pretty anxious when I am flying. 
I get pretty anxious when I do things I don't normally do. 
I get anxious when I have to go to places I don't know in a city that I don't know very well anymore. 
I get anxious when I am in big social situations (like a wedding).
I get more anxious when I there without Papa Bear or any of my little Bears. 
I get anxious about seeing people that I have not seen for many years. 
I get anxious about meeting people I don't know.
I get anxious when I don't know who is going to be there. 
I get anxious when I don't know what is the 'right' thing to wear.

It is a morning wedding. The dress code is 'Lounge Suit'. The hosts are incredibly old-school, terribly, perfectly perfect. All the time. It will be a beautiful, perfect, classy wedding. What do I wear? Please help? Someone? 


I'm guessing that being morning I should wear something knee length-ish (not long)? I'm guessing that it should be less dressy than cocktail, but more dressy than work? More dressy than a sundress? Still winter, but close to spring, so might be warmish? Any advice welcome, all advice desperately wanted/needed. Please help me to at least get rid of one of my anxieties?

7 comments:

  1. Three options.
    (1) trust. Use trust to shout down the anxieties.
    (2) don't go. You don't have to. You've chosen to, because you want to.
    (3) TRUST

    ReplyDelete
  2. Research honey, all on line, where there is no judgement. Google lounge suit & all the proper pomp & ceremoney of what to do at a lounge suit wedding, plus the weather forecast etc.
    As for Sydney, i'm born & bred Sydney & have only lived there for a few years of my adult life, so now i get to play visitor & i love it. Check out all the places you want to go & see, write it all down, use it as conversation starters with guests, map it all out & do as much as you can on foot (are you in the city??)
    Above all, enjoy, relax, if you're confident in what you're wearing, you'll rock it!!
    Love Posie
    PS read your bio, you have a similar life to me with a large family, 2 degrees, having lived all over Australia (i've never lived overseas, but plenty of trips) & just putting mothering first!! We've also tried many different types of schools, main stream private is a perfect fit for us, although Montessori primary was gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sannah

    I identify with you of your worries to leave your children - I haven't done that yet either.

    You will be fine in all parts - I know you will.
    See the picture of what you want to happen in Sydney and keep that going continually.

    I would be in the same boat as you re clothes - I am out of the corporate world now with suits etc.
    But
    I go black when all else fails (now I know yours is morning though - classic classy accessories always and LESS IS MORE.

    I don't know your skin tone but a gorgeous palette would be a powder blue (it seems to go with everyones skin tones).
    If you can find some lovely pastels (once again depends on your skin tones) that might be a gorgeous look.

    think of what Audrey Hepburn would wear - go with that - classic and classy!

    Always remember the best dressed have a positive outlook and their head held high to meet the world - and the best accessory is a smile.

    x
    Loulou

    ReplyDelete
  4. The advice given by the others is pretty amazing! I would suggest a dress - perhaps those that were certainly popular in the UK this spring and summer - kind of 1950s style - a full skirt and fitted on top, perhaps a shrug in case it`s cool, which you can remove if it`s warm and a pair of heels. Simple pair of earrings or necklace and you`re done...oh, and a bag. Above all else, feel comfortable so if this isn`t your style, try something else. You`ll be fine...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Firstly, these ladies have pretty much got you covered in terms of advice. But I would say to try to embrace this time on your own. It's rare and precious and you'll find it really refreshes you if you let it. And I'd be wearing something you could layer up with a beautiful cardigan and stunning necklace. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone for all the wonderful suggestions, and the pearls of wisdom and reassurance.

    Frances - yes, I will trust, and yes, I know I don't have to go. But of course, despite the anxiety over the details, I WANT to go, and I know that it will be good for me, and there is a very good chance I will have a wonderful time! I also know that it is good for my anxiety for me to push out of my comfort zone.

    Posie, thank you for you suggestions, I think i just need to try and have more confidence in myself and stress less about these sort of decisions. nice to discover how similar our lives are :)

    Loulou - I keep forgetting that black is ok for weddings these days, and in fact it is probably the preferred colour. and thank you for the reassurance, it is nice to know i am not the only one who finds it hard leaving the babes.


    Annabella - love your suggestions, sounds perfect, just not sure my budget can stretch (but will have a look at shops this weekend, I might get lucky!),

    Sarah - I think you are completely right, that I should embrace it (and trust me I will once I am there!). I am sure that it will refresh me, but I find the lead up really hard. Great advice though, from someone who has recently done something MUCH bigger!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just remember you're never fully dressed without a smile. Yes, all my life lessons come from the movie "Annie"

    ReplyDelete